Popular Posts

Thursday 28 April 2011

Reflexive And Emphatic Pronouns

When -self is added to my, your, him, her, it, and -selves to our, your, them, we get what are called Compound Personal Pronouns. They are called Reflexive Pronouns when the action done by the subject turns back upon the subject; as,  I hurt myself, You will hurt yourself,   He hurt himself,  We hurt ourselves, etc.
      It will be noticed that each of these Reflexive Pronouns is used as the Object of a Verb, and refers to the same person or thing as that denoted by the subject of the verb.
     Sometimes in old English, especially in poetry, a simple pronoun was used reflexively; as,
                                       Now I lay me down to sleep.
     The word self is sometimes used as a Noun; as,     He thinks much of self,    He cares for nothing but self.

Emphatic Pronouns:-    Now look at the following sentences.
 I will do it myself.     I myself saw him do it.     We will see to it ourselves.    You yourself can best explain.   She herself says so.    We saw the Prime Minister himself.    The town itself is not very large.
      It will be seen that here Compound Personal Pronouns are used for the sake of emphasis, and are therefore called Emphatic Pronouns.

No comments:

Post a Comment