Popular Posts

Saturday 30 April 2011

Relative Pronouns

Read the following pairs of sentences:-
1.    I met John. John had just returned.
2.    I have found the pen. I lost the pen.
3.    Here is the book. You lent me the book.
       Let us know combine each of the above pairs into one sentence. Thus:-
1.    I met John who had just returned.
2.    I have found the pen which I lost.
3.    Here is the book that you lent me.
Now let us examine the work done by each of the words, who, which and that.
The word who is used instead of the noun John. It, therefore, does the work of a Pronoun.
The word who joins or connects two statements. It, therefore, does the work of Conjunction.
       The word who, therefore, does double work--the work of a Pronoun and also the work of a Conjunction. We might, therefore, call it a Conjunctive Pronoun. It is, however, called a Relative Pronoun because it refers or relate to some noun going before, which is called its Antecedent.
       Let the learners show why which and that are also Relative Pronouns in the second and third sentences.
What is the Antecedent of which in the second sentence?
What is the Antecedent of that in the third sentence?

No comments:

Post a Comment